Universal Credit: Eligible claimants could receive thousands in free childcare | Personal Finance

If a parent is claiming Universal Credit, they may be able to claim up to 85 percent of their childcare costs. This could be a maximum of £646 per month for one child, or up to £1,108 per month for two children or more. Usually, a parent can claim with a partner so long as both are in work. However, it may be possible to get childcare support if one person is not working and unable to provide childcare themselves because they have limited capability for work, have caring responsibilities for a severely disabled person or are temporarily absent from the household.

Related articles

Benefit cap: If the income limit is hit it could affect payments How will my Universal Credit be affected if I get tax rebate?


Universal Credit: How bad things can get with advanced payments

To receive this support, Universal Credit will need to be received along with one of the following:

Statutory Sick PayStatutory Maternity PayStatutory Paternity PayStatutory Shared Parental PayStatutory Adoption PayMaternity Allowance

To determine eligibility for childcare support, the claimant will need to speak to their designated work coach.

They will need to provide them with their personal details as well as information on the childcare provider and the full costs of their childcare.

READ MORE: Universal Credit is rising and this is what claimants could receive

Childcare support

Support is available for childcare (Image: GETTY)


Raising a child can often be one of the most expensive things a person does (Image: GETTY)

It should be noted that, as with all universal credit payments, the childcare support is paid in arrears.

This means that the claimant will need to pay for the costs upfront themselves and then the Universal Credit system will pay the money back.

If these upfront costs are an issue it is possible to receive a flexible support fund to help. This will need to be discussed with the work coach.

Childcare support can be fairly flexible. It is possible to claim for childcare costs for the month before the claimant starts work if they have accepted a job offer.

Martin Lewis says check if you are entitled to THIS benefit NOW [EXPERT]
Universal Credit: Payments could be stopped if you don’t do this [WARNING]
Energy bills could be reduced through this government scheme [INSIGHT]

Related articles

How does Universal Credit pay childcare? Extra amount parents may get Have you got a young child? You may be entitled to free food vouchers

On the other side of this, if the claimant stops working DWP should be contacted because support with childcare costs can be claimed for at least a month after the employment ends.

This is designed to help maintain childcare while the claimant moves between jobs. The government appears to recognise that raising children while balancing work can be a difficult task.

As Will Quince, the Minister for Welfare Delivery, detailed: “Any working parent can appreciate the difficulties of having to balance a job with looking after the kids, and I want to make it easier for parents who want to go back to work after having children.

New job

Changes to circumstances like getting a new job need to be reported asap (Image: GETTY)


Universal Credit: What is work allowance? How earnings affect payment

“With Universal Credit, childcare payments are much more generous than the old benefit system. For lots of people childcare costs can be a barrier to going back to work, but I want parents to know that help and support is available.

“To see if you’re eligible for over a thousand pounds a month to help with childcare, visit www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk”

The government provides further support of childcare online. They provide tools to find nursery school places, registered childminders and early education schemes.


Universal Credit rollout

The rollout of Universal Credit has been controversial (Image: GETTY)

It should be noted that any changes in circumstances should be reported to the government as soon as possible.

Changes in circumstances could result in payments being reduced or even halted entirely if they’re not reported.

The Government detail that changes in circumstances can include:

Finding or finishing a jobHaving a childMoving in with a partnerStarting to care for a child or disabled personMoving to a new addressChanging bank detailsRent going up or downChanges to a health conditionBecoming too ill to work or meet a work coachChanges to earnings for the self-employed